When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair technician to check your system post-storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Jack Nelson Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get strewn about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to return outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Jack Nelson Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Tulsa, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Tulsa or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 918-212-8927 or schedule an appointment with Jack Nelson Service Experts through our online scheduler.