As autumn approaches, now is an excellent time to start thinking about your residence’s carbon monoxide detectors. When heating season begins, the Centers for Disease Control says the likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning increases.
Carbon monoxide is a harmful gas that’s colorless, odorless and tasteless. It’s a result of combustion your gas furnace relies on to heat your residence. When your furnace is running properly, the gas is securely vented outside of your house. Breaks in your furnace’s heat exchanger or flue pipes can cause carbon monoxide to spill into your house, where prolonged exposure can be lethal.
Although carbon monoxide poisoning is avoidable, the CDC says at least 430 people in the U.S. are killed by it each year. And another approximately 50,000 people visit the emergency room due to related symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness and vomiting.
The best ways you can protect your home is by scheduling annual maintenance of all gas, oil, or wood burning appliances, like your furnace and water heater, and installing a carbon monoxide detector. From plug-in to smart carbon monoxide detectors, there’s a solution available that fits for your home and budget.
H2: Smart Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Smart carbon monoxide detectors, including the Nest carbon monoxide detector, make it straightforward to keep on top of keeping your home safe. They’re usually sold as duo carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and can typically be synced with other smart home devices via Wi-Fi.
Here are a few other advantages of having them in your residence:
- Alerts you that there’s something wrong through voice notifications, in addition to alerts on your phone.
- Pinpoints the problem area, such as the kitchen or basement.
- Can be silenced from your phone.
- Automatically reviews its sensors and batteries and reveals findings through a full report on your phone.
- Notifies you of low batteries with an alert on your phone, not an annoying chirp in the middle of the night.
- Lasts up to 10 years, depending on the kind.
The only problem with having Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors is the expense. These detectors are frequently much pricier than their plug-in or battery-powered counterparts. But they also provide many beneficial and worthy features you can’t find in a non-smart device.
When you’re getting a new device, it’s vital to know where to place carbon monoxide detectors. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector approximately five feet above the floor or on the ceiling. This is because carbon monoxide can rise with hot air.
We recommend installing a detector on each floor of your home, especially outside bedrooms. You’ll want to be sure the noise will wake you up.
Battery-Powered and Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Plug-in and battery-powered carbon monoxide detectors are the most economical. Some of the most popular models are Kidde carbon monoxide detectors and First Alert carbon monoxide detectors.
But they also have restricted features that don’t link with your phone or smart home devices. They tend to have a digital display and test button, which you’ll have to remember to use.
The National Fire Protection Association advises testing hardwired carbon monoxide alarms once a month. Battery-powered detectors that don’t plug in should be tested weekly. If you’re wondering how to test for carbon monoxide, it’s pretty simple. Use the button to make sure your detector is working.
If your detector is hardwired, make sure to swap the backup battery at least every year. If it’s battery-powered, you’ll want to change it once a month to skip the irritating chirp in the middle of the night.
If you’re getting a chirp or your carbon monoxide detector is beeping more frequently, it usually means it has a low battery. Or, it’s reaching the end of its life. How long carbon monoxide detectors last depends on the brand you use. Typically, it’s between 5–10 years, but make sure to review instructions from your device’s manufacturer.
If you’re concerned about why your carbon monoxide detector is beeping, it’s frequently due to the fact it’s picking up dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. If your carbon monoxide detector is going off with continuous, loud beeping, leave your residence right away and dial 911.
Now is an excellent time to confirm your carbon monoxide detector is functioning like it’s supposed to before heating season starts. If you need to request furnace maintenance or you’re interested in upgrading to smart carbon monoxide detectors, the Experts at Jack Nelson Service Experts can help. Get in touch with us at 918-212-8927 today and we’ll help you pick the perfect carbon monoxide detector for your residence.