Each year over 20,000 people visit the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the heating months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your home safe, Jack Nelson Service Experts is here with a couple tips to safety warm your home.
- Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and swap out the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a distance over three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like ceramic tile. Keep young ones and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned every year.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Jack Nelson Service Experts will check to make sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 918-212-8927 today and ask how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.