One of the most common concerns that we hear about at Jack Nelson Service Experts in Tulsa is dirty air filters. They may seem like a very insignificant piece of the whole home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us create comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners recognize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a variety of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you might encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the greatest issue you’ll note when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being swapped out, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working a lot harder to give you the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any potential damage that might come with a dirty air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters we carry, give Jack Nelson Service Experts a call at 918-212-8927 or schedule an appointment online.