What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. It’s created by insufficient fuel combustion usually caused by a lack of oxygen. In your home, appliances that need natural gas, charcoal, wood or kerosene are vulnerable. Especially if they are not operating properly or have been installed improperly.

Vehicle exhaust fumes from neighboring garages, as well as poorly operating fireplaces could also produce carbon monoxide. CO is dangerous to the body and is lethal at high levels or with extended exposure.